Wednesday, June 16, 2010

#528 - The Karate Kid (2010)

The Karate Kid is a remake of the film of the same name from the 1980s. This film stars Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan as the two central characters originally played by Pat Morita and Ralph Macchio. Before seeing this I thought it wasn't going to think it was going to be good at all. I was pleasantly surprised. The first reason I felt troubled was they changed names, settings, and nationalities of all the characters except Mr. Miyagi (or Mr. Han in this version). Now for the reasons it was awesome. First we have the fact that even though they changed fall of the things I listed the central plot of the film was the same. They had only one real allusion to the original film which saddened me but everything else was the same. Second Jackie Chan is tossed perfectly into a dramatic role. In the scene with Mr. Han drinking over the anniversary of the death of his wife (and kid in this film) Chan had me two seconds away from bawling because of Chan's crying. I was also very happy over the fact that they slightly included the 'sweep the leg' line in the film. Overall I say this film is just under the original in the awesomeness scale. I give the film 4.5/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment